12.18.2012

Paying it Forward

So we've all heard about the tragedy that occurred in Connecticut on Friday.
We've all cried, grieved for the innocent angels that were taken from us that day and pondered how this world got so scary.

There's no way to wrap our heads around it.

I've found myself lying in bed every night since Friday, staring up at the ceiling in fear.
A million thoughts run through my head about the poor innocent children and teachers and thinking about how life really is too short.

I wanted to write a post last week about "Paying it Forward" but didn't really know how to go about it.

Today it seems fitting.



Last Sunday Mike and I were out to breakfast at our local diner, sitting at the counter eating our eggs when a man came running in.

Man - "Excuse me, does anyone in here own a black Acura?"

Mike and I - "Ummm we do, why??"

Man - "Someone just backed up into your car and took off....I chased them through the parking lot yelling for them to stop but they didn't. I was able to see the license plate number though so if you have a pen I can give it to you."

Luckily there was no evident damage to our car but this instance taught me a valuable lesson.

There are a lot of bad people out there in this world....but if we all take time to do something nice for others we can make a change.

The woman that backed up into our car and drove away....she was a bad seed...no doubt about it....but the man that ran into the diner? He didn't know who we were...it wasn't HIS car that got hit...but he ran across the parking lot to make sure he helped someone who needed him and we were very thankful.

A couple days later I was meeting my client at a very populated medical office park.
A man next to me got out of his car with a walker and an oxygen tank.
As he stepped out he yelled to me "Excuse me, miss...do you know where the kidney doctor is? I come here twice a year and I always manage to get lost."

Normally I might have said "No sorry" because I DON'T know where the kidney doctor is.
Instead I asked "I'm not sure...do you have an address? I'm sure we can figure it out!"
And sure enough we did....and he was very thankful.

Challenge yourself this week and do something nice for someone.

Pick up the coffee bill for the person behind you at Starbucks.
Drop a couple extra dollars into the red Salvation Army bucket as you walk into the mall.
Help an elderly person with directions or with bringing their groceries to the car.
Smile at someone who looks like they might be having a bad day.

These things may seem very small but by doing them you can make a difference and make this scary world we live in a much better place.





17 comments:

  1. Loving your idea sweet girl!

    You made that old mans day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is lovely. So nice that someone did something nice for you--too often it's the opposite. During times like these especially, it's easy to forget that there ARE good people out there. I'm gonna take on your challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice post. You should do this as a monthly linkup. It's not often enough that people go out of their way to help others and with all the bad in the world it's nice to hear about some of the good :) That was very nice of you to help that older man - so many people would have turned their backs and walked away. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post girlfriend! I'm so glad someone helped you out, and so sweet of you to help the man who was lost too :) It's the little things that add up over time. I love doing a small act of kindness, sometimes anonymously and just that feeling you get of knowing YOU could be the person who made a difference :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. totally agree Shannon! When a tragedy like what happened this past week occurs, I think it really puts life into perspective. Our "promblems" seem so trivial compared to what happened and I think you are right - we need to pay it forward and give back! You never know what can happen from one day to another but you can make the decision to be a good person :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. just wrote a post about something similar! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Couldn't agree with this post more! This world would be such a better place if we all took a minute to try to pay it forward a bit more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post. I have found myself in the same sort of daze the past couple of days and REALLY appreciating small gestures. Yes, there are some evil people in this world, but if you look around there are some pretty phenomenal ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this!! What a jewel that man was! I hope you ran the lady's tag anyway! I would have! Merry Christmas to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Shannon,
    Clicked over from the eighteen25 blog. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on what happened. I too stared at the ceiling and wondered. We have three (7,3,3 mo.) that I worry about.
    I try every day to help someone, somewhere. You're comments remind me of who I want to be as a man, father, husband, resident of the planet earth, etc. Thanks!

    Jason
    The Cheeky Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, its on. I am going to do something random and nice for someone before the weekend is up...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this post. These past few days have been terrible. It's so good to know there are still good people out there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow that was very nice of that guy to go our of his way to try to get that lady to stop after hitting your car. That is pretty uncommon anymore. Seems like people see things happening and look the other way. I'm guilty of it also, but mainly because at the time something just doesn't feel right for ME to help.

    I do feel like this Christmas season I have tried on a couple occasions to pay it forward. I just haven't been given a good opportunity yet.

    Very sweet of you to help that man. A few minutes of your time saved him a lot of walking around clueless probably not moving very quickly either.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love:) You just made my day!

Cheers!