8.06.2012

Wedding Fun and a Camping FAIL!

It's time for a little weekend recap....

Friday night was fantastic. I celebrated the marriage of a close family friend and danced the night away! We had a fantastic time and I even got to wear my new necklace from Francescas:) Here are some photos for your viewing pleasure...

Hubby & I :)

3 Generations....Nana, Me, Michele, Mom, Brittney:)

Now onto the rest of the weekend recap....the part that isn't so fantastic....

Remember this post here where I told you all that it was on my summer bucket list to go camping with Mike?

Well let's just say Saturday we did....and it was the camping trip from hell....

Saturday afternoon Mike and I packed up the car and drove to Mount Monadnock in New Hampshire for a fun little camping trip. We arrived at our camp site, set up our tent, gathered our firewood and cracked open a beer. It was about 5:00pm when we were all settled in and ready to cook some hot dogs over the fire when the rumbling of thunder started.

our tent all set up

We checked the weather on our phones and there was a "flash flood warning with extreme weather conditions" in the area we were staying. 
Now let me tell you something....my family has a bad history with lightning (my dad has been struck twice and once while camping...but that's another story for another day). So we jumped in the car and decided we would go to the next town and get something to eat at a restaurant instead. As we were driving the storm was probably one of the worst I've ever seen. We couldn't see a foot in front of us and I thought the lightning was going to come through the car windows!! We parked the car and made a run for it into Harlow's Pub in Peterborough. We sat down, soaking wet and ordered a beer and some food.....as the waitress walked away with our order....the restaurant's lights flickered....and BOOM the power went out. 

There we were......soaking wet....hungry.....sweating to death and with nowhere to go. So we finished our beers and made a run for it back to the car (where I lost a shoe half way and had to turn around only making myself get EVEN more soaking wet). 

after getting back to the car...soaking wet

waiting it out in the car

After driving around for about an hour, waiting for the rain to stop, we made it back to our campsite. The tent was COVERED in mud and inside our sheets were soaked. We decided to stick it out anyway and popped open a bottle of wine and started our fire before it got too dark. We cooked our hot dogs, ate some s'mores, talked for a while and finished a bottle of sauvignon blanc.

Mike starting the fire

our raging fire

toastin' 'mallows

At 11:00 we decided to call it a night, climbed into our tent and fell asleep on our air mattress. An hour later we woke up and realized our mattress had a hole in it.....and since we didn't want to sleep on the wet floor, we had to get up every hour on the hour to pump some more air in.
There was also a giant bell the sounded every hour on the hour letting us know what time it was. (I felt like Katniss in the Hunger Games and expected to look into the sky and see the faces of our fellow campers that didn't make it)
Around 3:00 am I woke up to the sound of wolves howling outside and pretty much feared for my life until the sun came up.
At 6:00 am a ridiculous horn that sounded like a fog horn started blowing all around the campground and somehow I was suddenly getting eaten alive by mosquitos.....
Mike and I looked at each other and he said...."get your shit together we are leaving."

I've never gotten my shit together so fast.....we peeled out of the camp ground and threw the air mattress in the dumpster on the way out.

When we got home to MA we decided we were going to relax and take a nap at 5:00 to catch up on some sleep.....at 5:30 a crash of lightning nearly came through our front window waking us up from our nap. Our fire alarm in our house started going off and we didn't know what was going on!  The alarm finally stopped at 7:45pm we climbed back into bed, turned on the TV to watch a movie and BOOM - the power in our house went out. Just our luck....so we lit some candles, sweated our asses off and tried to fall asleep in the ridiculous heat. 

candles burning/windows open


If you don't already think this is the weekend from hell....keep reading.....

We are finally sound asleep and exhausted around 2:00 am when Mike's phone rings. Work is calling him explaining that there is a problem and he needs to come in right away. So now he's awake....I'm awake and we are both grumpy as he gets dressed and heads into the office in the pitch black....

I don't think I've ever used this phrase before....but T.G.I.M!!! 
Monday....I'm actually happy to see you!!

Here are the lessons I've learned from this weekend....









19 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, what a weekend! I guess you won't be camping again any time soon :) Hope your week is better than your weekend was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha "I felt like Katniss" that is too funny, hate your camping experience was so sucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy crap! what an awful camping experience! Props for going back to the campground soaking wet and willing to give it another shot. I for one, would not have. haha. We had quite the "storm" experience too this weekend! The transformer in our alley started on fire. That was nuts. I posted about it Saturday. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! you are a trooper the moment my tent was wet I would have left! I am so sorry it didn't plan out the way you wanted. I love the yellow dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to go camping, but in Houston it's better to wait until it cools down. However, you are making me think twice about this! Funny post, I'm sure that's a trip y'all will always remember!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL girl im dying picturing this! I am not a camping girl at all, power to you for at least trying! That is so crazy! anddd I am in LOVE with your yellow dress - where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! What a trip! I think you are a trooper for sticking it out that long! I think I would have called it a night when if I saw that kind of weather alert, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that yellow dress! So pretty!

    And that is such a crazy weekend of rain, rain and more rain!! I can see how you just wanted to end the weekend! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. HA! Love all those cards. Hilar and so true. Camping sounds horrendous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha gosh darn it you need about seventeen margaritas after that weekend from hell. Maybe one for every bug bite?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh what a weekend!! Good for you for sticking out the camping because I don't think I could have done it. It doesn't sound like it got much better, hopefully Monday was actually a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW.....that sounds AWFUL! I give you credit for attempting to stick it out despite it being all messed up. I think I would have just gone home haha.
    And now, thanks to your experience, I'm even more certain that I never want to go camping hahah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! My husband and I went camping shortly after we were married and the park was empty....except right before we were getting ready for bed a troop of boy scouts set up right next to us! They were practicing howling... haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy scouts howling? Oh man! hahaha that's too funny!

      Delete
  14. Seriously! You guys are troopers for sticking it out and trying to make the best of it! Sounds like you guys need a trip away... somewhere tropical to make up for it =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a different trip needs to be planned - you're right:) I'm on Expedia now:)

      Delete
  15. You look stunningt in that yellow dress! I'm glad we connected and I'm happy to be a new follower of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am SO not a camper. I hate bugs. I love nature but only if it doesn't leave me with bug bites lol that's fair right? I have such a sensitive back, I cannot sleep on the floor or even a couch, always has to be a bed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love:) You just made my day!

Cheers!