8.13.2012

At Home Facials....How To!

So I started getting facials done at a local spa near my house a year before my wedding. I was going religiously every 5 weeks and my skin never felt better! 

My wallet felt differently.

At about $55 a pop, facials were really starting to eat away at my bank account. Even though my skin felt great I couldn't justify continuing to spend the money on them after my wedding was over. Lucky for me I also wasn't going to be tempted anymore when I got an e-mail in July that the spa I was going to was officially "closing it's doors and shutting down for good."

I knew I had the tools at home to give myself a facial so this weekend I tried it out - and it worked out great! So I wanted to share with you all the 4 simple steps I took to make my skin start to glow again!






Step 1 - Cleanse and exfoliate!
If you don't have a Clarisonic (or a similar product) it's ok! You can still get a deep clean by using a face wash that has a good "grit" in it. I like to use St. Ive's Apricot Scrub. I've been using it for years and wouldn't switch to anything else! I lather up my face and neck with the scrub, then use my Clarisonic all over to get a really deep clean.

Step 2 - Steam and open up your pores!
I can pretty much guarantee that 99% of us don't have those awesome steam machines they use at the spa in our bathrooms at home. No need to fret!! There is an easy solution for this! I simply plug my bathroom sink, fill it with piping hot water, put my face in the sink just above the water line and drape a towel over the back of my head. If you can stand to stay in here for at least 60 seconds that is best....the longer the better so you're pores open up nicely!

Step 3 - Extraction!
This is the gross step. I don't thoroughly enjoy using a small metal tool to remove all the dirt and grime from my pores....but we must do it anyway - to prevent blackheads, clogged pores, acne etc. I got my blackhead removal tool at Walgreens for like $5 - great bargain!

Step 4 - Mask It!
Once you feel like your pores are clean, go ahead and slap on your favorite mask. I use Neutrogena's Deep Clean Shine Control mask. (Bonus....this mask can also be used as a cleanser!) Leave the mask on until it hardens (mine usually takes between 5-8 minutes) and then use a towel with warm water to wipe it away. A final rinse with cold water finishes off your "at home facial" and your skin will be glowing in no time!


The other thing we all must remember (and what I am terrible at remembering) is to drink enough water!!!
Drinking lots of water (about 8 glasses a day) has lots of benefits including....

Better Health
A Glowing Complexion
Increased Energy

I made these little "to do" sheets last fall and I like to place one right on my desk every morning. It gives me a place to write out my daily to do list (since we all know I LOVE crossing off items on lists) and it also reminds me to drink enough water! I suggest you all do the same - it really works!!!



Before we part ways today I want to remind you all to LINK UP WITH ME TOMORROW for the "What's on Your Bucket List" link up!!! There are no rules here....you can write whatever you'd like. We'll all share our bucket lists and in one month revisit them and show everyone in the blog world what we've accomplished!











6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I need to get on this pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this - I literally cannot live without my clarisonic it is so wonderful! I need to try that neutrogena mask!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOOHOO such great advice girlie!

    I will totally have to try this!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had a facial before... maybe I will try this :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love:) You just made my day!

Cheers!